Gregory, Texas was founded in 1887 and during its high point it was a busy trade center for the surrounding ranch lands with the railroad, cotton gins, general stores and bank. The city started to decline in 1920 with many of its businesses being moved to Taft, TX. In 2015 major energy firms and manufacturers moved into Gregory and the surrounding cities boosting economic growth and employment opportunities.
Gregory, Texas is located at the intersection of US Highway 181 and State Highway 35 and 361. It is three miles northeast of Portland, TX and twelve miles away from Corpus Christi, TX. In 2013 the population was 1,938.
Gregory Housing Authority came into operation in 1974. GHA operates 58 public housing units and administers 39 housing choice vouchers.